Chickering Grand, Model "145", S/N 160575

With Pianomation

Circa 1936

 

Chickering is one of the oldest names in piano manufacturing. The company was founded in 1823 by Jonas Chickering and James Stewart. The name for a short time was Stewart & Chickering. In 1852 Jonas brought his three sons, C. Frank, Thomas E, and George H. into the company. The name was then changed to Chickering & Sons. Thomas took control after Jonas died in 1853. The sons continued to run the company until the firm was bought by American Piano Company in 1908. The company continued to manufacture quality instruments throughout the depression years and after WWII. Following the war the company was sold to various other makers until finally the East Rochester plant was closed on 7/22/82.

Here are the photos of the restoration of the Chickering Grand Piano, Model "145". Note the richness of the Striated Mahogany grain. The Model "145" is said to be one of the finest pianos that have been made. The richness of tone and the touch are excellent. This was a perfect piano for "Pianomation".

 

Before Refinishing

 

 

 

Being Disassembled

 

 

Removing The Plate Screws

 

Removing The Plate

 

 

Refinishing The Plate

 

 

Repairing The Soundboard

 

 

 

Stripping The Case

 

 

Stripping Damper Heads

 

 

Staining Parts

 

 

Applying Lacquer Coats

 

 

Installing The Plate

 

 

Action Assembled

 

 

 

Cutting Slot For Pianomation

 

 

Installing Pianomation Components

 

 

Pianomation Installation Complete

 

 

Side View - Finished

 

 

 

Front View - Finished

 

 

BACK TO MAIN PAGE